THE SILVE R-BEARING LEAD MINE
The Fournel valley silver-bearing lead deposit was the scene of flourishing workings during the Middle Ages (10th – 13th centuries). With the help of fire-setting excavation techniques the workings reached up to 100m from daylight. The silver gained was sent to the mints at Embrun, Cesana and Grenoble. Then during the Industrial Revolution, between 1785 and 1908, several mining companies in turn worked out the deposit up to 300m under the mountainside. A factory was built at the bottom of the Fournel gorge and mining activity employed up to 500 workers. Since 1992 the site has seen archaeological digs and volunteer work camps aiming to rehabilitate this industrial heritage.
Departure in vehicles from the Mines Museum, footpath to the bottom of the gorge ; remains of the 19th century factory ; underground tour in the modern workings – Rebaisse gallery, Machine Room – then in the old workings.
«Classic» formula : 2 hours long, with 1 hour underground
In addition to the guided tour, an exhibition showing the results of the historical and archaeological research, a 15 mins. video, and temporary exhibitions.
To avoid disappointment reservation recommended
for individuals and groups 0033 492 302 94